Skip to content

State of Montana
Marriage License Requirements

  • The marriage license fee is $53 to get married in Montana.
  • Minimum age to marry is 16 w/judicial approval.
  • There’s no waiting period in Montana to get married.
  • Females (if under the age of 50) are required to submit to a Reubella Blood Test.
  • Each spouse must be present for the application.
  • Picture ID and Proof of age is required.
  • Marriage licenses are valid for 180 days from the date of issuance.
  • Be sure to contact your local county clerk of district court office well in advance of the wedding to find out on what days and during what hours the clerk will be in the office.

Marriage ID Requirement in Montana:

Picture ID and Proof of age:

  • Social security number for Each spouse
  • Valid Driver’s License
  • State issued ID
  • Military ID
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate

If birth certificate not provided, we will need Each spouse:

  • Birthplace (city, county, state or foreign country)
  • Parents’ full names, including mother’s maiden
  • Parents’ birth state.

Marriage Residency Requirement:

Montana Residents may obtain a marriage license and get married in any Montana county. Non-residents must obtain a marriage license in the county in which they are getting married.

Marriage Waiting Period in Montana:

The license is effective immediately upon issuance and expires after 180 days.

Previous Marriages

If either party was previously married and divorced, they must provide a copy of their most recent Divorce Decree.

Marriage License Fee Montana:

The fee for a marriage license is $53 in Montana. Preferred method of payment is cash. For guidance on additional methods of payment, please call ahead.

Marriage Blood Test Montana:

If the female applicant(s) is under the age of 50, there is a Consent/Waiver to sign if you choose not to have the Rubella Blood Test or the female applicant(s) may bring the Rubella Certificate if she wishes to have the blood test.

Name Change:

Getting a marriage license with your new name on it does not mean your name has automatically changed. If you need to change your last name, you can use an online marriage namechange kit like HitchSwitch.

Marriage Age Requirements

  • Parental Consent – Parent of legal guardian must sign Marriage Application.
  • Counseling – Proof of two counseling sessions, ten days apart, with a court approved counselor.
  • Judicial Approval – A District court judge must approve and sign Marriage Application. A judge may require a conference with applicants and guardians(s).

Proxy Marriages:

Yes. Any marriage by proxy may be found under Sections 40-1-301(2) and 40-1-213(3).

Cousin Marriages:


Common Law Marriages:


Marriage Officiants Montana:

Persons who may now solemnize a marriage include a judge of a court of record, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, by a mayor, city judge or justice of the peace, by a tribal judge, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination, Indian nation or tribe, or native group (40-1-301).

Expiration Date of Marriage License:

Marriage licenses are valid for 180 days from the date of issuance.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage License

Department of Health and Human Services
Vital Statistics Bureau
111 N. Sanders, Room 205
Helena, MT 59620
Ph: 406.444.4228

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. Additional information regarding Montana marriage license laws and records please visit


  • Each spouse must be 16 yrs of age or older (Montana Law does not allow marriages under age 16)
  • Each spouse must be present to make application.
  • Each spouse must provide a Driver’s License, State ID or Current Picture ID.
  • To complete the application, Each spouse must know the full name of their parents (mother’s maiden name) and place of birth.

It is important that you verify all information with your local county clerk of district court office before making a trip to purchase your marriage license.